Android TV is integrated into a wide range of TV models, and it is rapidly expanding. It’s one of the best ways to watch your favorite shows on a large screen. With Google Assistant and Chromecast built-in, Android TV is becoming smarter. Android TVs pack in with a bunch of apps, and most of the apps are easily available on the Google Play Store, but not all of them. You can easily Install Apps on Android TV; make sure you downloaded the APK’s from a trusted source.
There are lots of media streaming devices launched like FireStick, which convert any TV with an HDMI port into a Smart TV running on Android. There are lots of apps available outside the Playstore, which will help you get the most out of your Android TV. Here we share a guide that not only enables you to Install Apk on Android TV but can also sideload apps on FireStick or any other Android boxes.
The majority of Android apps are developed for phones and lack the API and design needed to interact with a TV remote. Some apps may not work with Android TV, although the majority of them can be readily sideloaded. Check How to Install Third-Party Android Apps on Android TV from below.
How to Install Apps on Android TV
Here we share different methods to Sideload Android TV Apps. But before you install any third-party app on Android TV, you need to enable Unknown Sources installation from TV settings.
Enable Unknown Sources on Android TV
As a security measure, Android devices and TVs usually only allow you to install apps from the Playstore and block you from installing third-party apps. To Sideload Apps on Android TV, you must first enable Unknown Source. Check out How to Enable Unknown Source on Android TV.
- Start your Android TV and Navigate to the Settings menu.
- In Settings, scroll down and open “Security & restrictions” under Personal Tab.
- Toggle “Unknown sources” to on.
- Now you’ll be able to install apk on your Android TV.
Finding APKs for Android TV
There are several different places where you can easily find APK files. Make sure you can download the apps from a trusted source, like APK Mirror or APKPure otherwise, there is a chance you get malware or malicious files on your device. If you’re having trouble deciding which apps are ideal for you, check out our list of the Best Android TV Apps.
Sideload APK on Android TV using USB Drive
The easiest way to install apps on your Android TV is by using a USB flash drive. You need to download the desired APK file you want to install and copy it to the USB flash drive. Once copied, plug it into your Android TV and click on the APK to install. Check below How to install APK on Android TV from USB.
- First, download the apps from a trusted source, like APK Mirror or APKPure.
- Download and Install any File Manager like ES File Explorer from Play Store.
- Copy the APK file you downloaded to the USB flash drive.
- Plug the USB drive into the Android TV.
- Launch ES File Explorer and locate the USB drive you plugged in and open it.
- Locate the APK, select it, and tap on it to Install.
Install Apps on Android TV using Android Smartphone
You can use the Send Files to TV app on your TV to wirelessly transfer the APK file. It is one of the easiest and best ways to Install apps on Android TV from phone. You need to install the Send Files to TV app on both TV and your Android device. The app is free to use and send any files between these devices through your local network.
- Open the Play Store and install Send Files to TV app on your Android TV and Android smartphone.
- On your TV, open the app and select the Receive option to start the receiver.
- Open the app on your phone, tap on Send, and choose the app you want to send.
- Select Android TV listed on the next screen to start the transfer.
- Once the file transfer is done, select the file on your TV and press the Open option to install the application.
Install Android Apps on Android TV using Cloud
Another way to install Android APK files on your Android TV is by using the cloud. You can select the cloud storage provider and upload the APK you want it to install. Once you upload the file on cloud storage, you can remotely manage the apps using the ES File Explorer. Follow the below guide to check how to Install Android Apps on Android TV using Cloud.
- On your Android TV, go to the Play Store, search for, and install ES File Explorer.
- Launch the ES Explorer app.
- Open the menu and go to Network > Cloud.
- Select the Cloud option in ES File Explorer and select your cloud service.
- Log into your cloud storage using ES File Explorer.
- Navigate to the APK file, select it, download, and install.
Sideload Android TV Apps using Browser
Another way to install the Android app on TV is by using the web browser. The browser I recommend is Puffin TV-Browser. Once the browser is installed, simply search your desired app and install it as a normal apk. Check How to Sideload Android TV Apps using Browser.
- On your Android TV, go to the Play Store, search for, and install Puffin TV-Browser.
- Open up your web browser.
- Search for the app that you want using the search bar or open websites like APK Mirror or APKPure.
- Once you’ve found the app you want, download it.
- Navigate to the downloaded APK file, select it, and install it.
The methods we share above are the easiest way to install apps on Android TV. There are few more methods available like setting an FTP account with your PC and send the file via an FTP server or install an app on Android TV using ADB. Both of the methods are very easy if you already knew about them. For new users, it’s quite tricky and time-consuming. For first-time users, I recommend using any of the above three methods.
How to access sideloaded apps on Android TV
In some cases, once you installed apps on Android TV, they do not show up in your regular list of apps. There are two ways to launch installed apps. The first one is to install the Sideload Launcher app on your Android TV, and it will show all of your apps. The second method is you could go to Settings > Apps and find the app you want to run, then select it and choose “Open,”
- On your Android TV, go to the Play Store, search for, and install Sideload Launcher.
- Launch the Sideload Launcher app.
- You will find a list of all installed apps—both sideloaded and from the Play Store.
- Click on the app you want to open.
Wrapping Up: Sideload Android TV Apps
It’s quite simple to install an app on Android TV. To Sideload apps, you don’t need any technical skills or complicated methods. You can try any of the methods we’ve listed to Sideload Apps on Android TV. If you know any other way to Install Apps on Android TV, let us know in the comments section.