There are times when you need to copy text from images, whether it’s a screenshot or a photo taken with your phone. There’s no need to waste time typing everything down because there are tools that use Optical Character Recognition (OCR) to analyze the letters and words in an image, and then convert them to text. In this guide, We’ll show you how to copy text from a photo with your phone.
Regardless of your situation, this type of feature may be useful; being able to copy text from images can save you a substantial amount of time compared to manually transcribing words and retyping all of the text. Fortunately, converting a picture to text is a simple process. There are apps that analyze letters in an image and convert them so that you can easily transfer and edit the text on your smartphone.
How to Copy Text from a Photo with Your Phone
With Google’s Lens technology, any text in a photo, screenshot, or camera preview can be recognized with the help of OCR. It allows users to extract text out of an image, scanned document, or PDF file and quickly paste it into another document.
Method 1: Copy Text From Image using Google Photos
Google Photos app comes pre-installed on most Android devices. It has a feature to scan for text in an image with great accuracy. The feature to copy and paste text from an image is available on both Google Photos web and the mobile app.
- Open Google Photos.
- Select the image from photos or the library.
- Click on Copy Text from Image at the bottom.
- Alternatively, tap on the Google Lens option from the bottom bar and click on Text.
- Google Lens will scan the image and highlight any text it detects.
- Now, select the text you want to copy and click on Copy Text
- Done! The selected text has now been copied to your clipboard.
Method 2: Copy and Paste Image Text using Google Lens
To scan image text with a Google lens, you need a Google lens app. If you don’t have one, you can install it from the Google Play Store. After you’ve installed it, you’ll be able to scan any image that contains the text.
- Download and Install Google Lens on your phone.
- Open the Google lens app and tap a photo with text.
- Google Lens will scan the code and highlight any text it detects.
- Now, select the text you want to copy and click on Copy Text.
Google Keep is another useful app to extract text from an image. It can perform OCR easily and conveniently. Apart from Google free apps, there are lots of apps available on the play store that can perform this task easily. One such app which I like the most is Universal Copy. It not only performs the OCR on an image but also lets you copy from an app or website that won’t allow copying.
Wrapping Up: Copy and Paste Text from a Photo with Your Phone
With Google Lens technology and the help of apps like Google Lens, Keep, and Google Photos you can easily copy and paste text from a photo and it works for iPhone and Android.