Compared with NTFS, FAT32 performers better incompatibility. FAT32 drive can be supported by Windows, Linux operating system, and work smoothly under different electronic devices, such as PS4 and Xbox One. Here we’ll discuss how to convert NTFS to FAT32 in Windows 10/8/7 for an external drive, especially when the drive is larger than 32GB.
Convert NTFS to FAT32 by Formatting for a Drive up to 32GB
If the capacity of the drive is not larger than 32GB and there are no necessary files saved on the drive, you can change its file system from NTFS to FAT32 by formatting within Windows Explorer, Disk Management, or third-party software like Diskpart. We share all different methods, check below How to convert NTFS to FAT32 quickly and easily.
1. Change NTFS to FAT32 via Windows Explorer.
- Double click This PC in Windows 10 or My Computer in Windows 7 to open File Explorer.
- Locate the NTFS drive that is going to be converted to FAT32, right-click it, and choose Format.
- In the pop-up window, choose FAT32 on the drop-down file system menu. Check “Quick Format”. Then, click the “Start” button.
2. Change NTFS to FAT32 via Disk Management
If the drive is not assigned a drive letter, it won’t appear in Windows Explorer. Then, you can format it to FAT32 in Disk Management.
- Press “Windows” + “R” at the same time, input “diskmgmt.msc” and click “OK” to open Disk Management.
- Find out the NTFS drive that you plant to convert to FAT32, right-click it, and choose “Format”.
- Choose FAT32 as the file system of the drive and click “OK”.
3. Change File System from FAT32 to NTFS via Diskpart
Or you can choose to convert a drive from FAT32 to NTFS via Diskpart utility.
- Press “Windows” + “R” at the same time, input “diskpart” and hit Enter.
- Run commands are given below in order:
list disk select disk n (“n” is the disk number of that holds the target NTFS partition) list partition select partition m (“m” is the partition number of the target NTFS partition) format fs=fat32 quick
- To make the drive without any drive letter visible in Windows File Explorer, you can assign an available drive letter to it in Disk Management or Diskpart.
- Before deciding to convert NTFS to FAT32 via formatting, you should realize that formatting will erase all data on the drive.
- When the partition is larger than 32GB, you’ll find that the FAT32 option is not showing on file system menu or receive an error saying that the volume is too big for FAT32. This is because Windows doesn’t support you to change the file system to FAT32 for a drive larger than 32GB.
Convert NTFS to FAT32 without formatting for a drive (beyond 32GB)
If you don’t want to lose data saved on the NTFS partition, or the partition is beyond 32GB, an NTFS to FAT32 converter tool – AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard will be a nice choice. It works smoothly in converting NTFS drive to FAT32 without losing data for a drive (larger than 32GB). Of course, you can use it to change (large) drive to FAT32 via formatting.
Now, free download the tool from its official website and have a close look at how it converts NTFS to FAT32 for a large drive without data loss.
- Install the software and launch it. Go to “All Tools” and “NTFS to FAT32 Converter”.
- In this window, select “NTFS to FAT32” and click “Next”.
- Among the listed partition, choose the NTFS partition that you need to convert to FAT32 and click “Next”.
- In this window, the drive letter, label, and volume size of the partition that is going to be converted to FAT32 are displayed. Click Proceed to execute operation after confirming.
- Apart from converting NTFS to FAT32, this software can merge partitions, add unallocated space into partition, copy partition to another drive, and so on.
- This reliable software can work perfectly under all editions of Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, and Windows Vista (either 32-bit or 64-bit).
These are some of the best ways to convert NTFS to FAT32. You can choose any of the methods and I’m sure you will be satisfied with the results. If you have any questions regarding this, comment below.